Need to insert Table of contents in your project report or any other document? But unable to figure out how to do that? Well, worry not, we all find ourselves in such situations at times and all we need is a little guidance in the right direction. This article contains a brief step by step guide to create a table of contents in MS Word 2016.
Well, table of contents is the great tool included in Microsoft Word. It really makes it easy for your readers to navigate through different pages of your document. Just like an E-book, the reader can easy navigate to the particular section just by clicking the heading of that page from the table of contents. So, you see how relieving and easy is browse different pages/sections in a document with the help of table of contents.
Well, friends, it is the work of just a few minutes to create the table of contents in Word document. The steps are quite easy to understand and follow.
How to create table of contents in ms word 2016 step by step
So, let’s jump to this simple guide on how to create the table of contents in MS word 2016 ..
Create the content of your document
Yeah, the very first step for creating the table of contents is to create the overall contents of your document. So, follow the steps to create your contents in a systematic manner.
- Insert a coverage. The cover page is the first page of the document which contains the title of the document. Fortunately, Word 2016 has included many attractive pre-built cover pages that you can choose from. So, for inserting one, create a new file and then in the Insert tab, you will find an option called Cover Page. Simply click on it and select the desired one.
- Now leave the second page blank as we will add Table of Contents in the second of the document. After that start creating your pages. The important thing you need to keep in mind here is that the MS Word works on Headings like Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3….. so on. So, you need to format your contents on the basis of headings.For instance, if our document contains 10 chapters and each chapter includes subsections. So, you need to format the title of the chapter as Heading 1 and the subsections as heading 2. Also, if the subsections also got some more sub sections then you need to format their title as Heading 3, Heading 4, so on.
- To add more pages, simply click on pages available at the left sidebar of the window, select the page before which you need to add the blank page and then on the Insert tab at the top of the window, just click the Blank page option. Click as many times as the number of blank pages you want to add.
Add table of contents
- Now that you have successfully created your content, it’s time to do the main thing i.e. to create Table of content. So, come back to the second page where we left previously to create the table of contents. You can select any page just by clicking on the page section at the left sidebar and then select the desired page.
- After that, from the top menu tabs click on the References. In the References tab, the first item you will see is the Table of contents. Simply click on it.
- It will show you different table of contents layouts. You can choose any one of them. If you don’t like any of the given layouts then you can create your own or get some from the internet just by selecting More table of contents from Office.com.
- If you want to use from the given ones then simply click on that but if you want to create our own then click on the Custom Table of contents. It will show you a popup window where you can customize the table of contents as you want. Only the things you need to edit here are Tab leader, Show levels, and Format.
- Tab Leader provides you different options to fill the distance between the page title and the page number. It will only be editable if you check true to show page number and Right align page numbers.
- Format offers different kind of formats to apply in your table of contents such as Fancy, classic, modern, simple, formal, etc.
- Show levels allow you to add the subheadings to your table of contents.
- So, now that you have successfully customized your table of contents just click ok and it will be added to the page.
Update Table of contents
It is necessary to update the table of contents whenever you make any changes to your contents because if you do not do this then the changes will not be reflected in the table of contents. So, simply click on the table of contents and click Update Table, or you can update the table of contents from the References tab just by clicking Update Table. That’s all you need to do.
So, this is how to create Table of contents in Word 2016. Hope the article helped you out. But if you still have some doubts or confusion then just drop it in the comments. We are always ready to help you. 🙂